Friday, May 27, 2011

Perfect Shade of Blue: Eleanor, age 12

Eleanor from St. Paul, Minnesota sent in this song. Have you ever had the realization that something wonderful you'd been looking for has been right in front of your very eyes? Perhaps it was something or someone you barely noticed or appreciated. Or used to appreciate but forgot. How could you have missed it? Eleanor does a terrific job of capturing that feeling of amazement and wonder. "In the days I didn't notice you/ Were your eyes this perfect shade of blue?" Congratulations, Eleanor...you wrote a hit song!

Post a comment for Eleanor and let her know how much you like her song.

Perfect Shade of Blue
by Eleanor, age 12

Sometimes perfect
Is just pretending that everything's okay
Even when it's not.
Sometimes magic
Is what happens while you look the other way.
I guess I just forgot.

I never thought
That there could be a perfect day until today.
I never dreamed it would be me that changed.
I guess I only needed rearranging.

Now there's magic in every step I take.
Now there's beauty in everything I do.
In the days I didn't notice you
Were your eyes this perfect shade of blue?

Sometimes perfect
My face was always put on for a show
And crying made it run.
Sometimes frightened
But I never let the pretty people know
I wasn't having fun.

Did you always
See the world this way?
Did you ever
Wonder whether I would turn around someday?
Did you stand there
Waiting patiently?
Knowing if you waited I would see.

I never thought
That there could be a perfect day--until today.
I never dreamed it would be me that changed.
I guess I only needed rearranging.

Now there's magic in every step I take.
Now there's beauty in everything I do.
In the days I didn't notice you
Were your eyes this perfect shade of blue?

Sometimes perfect
Is just pretending that everything's okay
Even when it's not.
Sometimes magic
Is what happens while you look the other way.
I guess I just forgot.

7 comments:

margaret j said...

Eleanor, your song makes me wonder what other amazing songs are in your heart waiting to be written. It reminds me of 1 Corinthians 13. You will be a good teacher through your songwriting, Eleanor! We need you, twelve but oh so wise!

K. M. Johnson said...

That's a great song, Eleanor. Very wise too. Thanks for sharing it. Congratulations.

bethye said...

this is awesome, eleanor, and so poetic! :) keep it up!

Northwoods Catie said...

Eleanor... what an amazing poem / song you have written! I am truly impressed. Good work. Don't stop...

Rosie Wims said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU GIRLY, I am so happy that I got to know and congradulations.

Kirk said...

Wow Eleanor. I am truly moved by this song. It took me decades to learn the lessons here. You are a lucky person to understand them and to so eloquently write about them. I hope you keep writing!

JudyE4460 said...

This song is sooooo beautifully written I can almost hear the music!!!! Awesome song! I cant believe a 12 yr old wrote it!